Tuesday 26 January 2010

An Amazing Sunset

This morning I was in Uni for 2 hours and then again in the afternoon until 3pm. During the two hour lunch break I headed to the gym for an hour's training and to read my book as I sat on the bike.

The afternoon turned bright and sunny at about 2pm ish and as I sat in the lecture, not feeling the most enthused by the topic being taught, my mind wandered to the beautiful weather and my planned training ride! I was out on my bike doing road intervals by half 3, and stayed out riding around to Hathersage and Ladybower for two hours. Wanting to get an extra interval in, I turned off the Sheffield - Glossop road at the top of the A57, onto a minor road which headed down the ridge. My slight route choice error, (and resultant ride home in the dark) turned into a good move, when I felt the sun warming my back somewhat and the world turned a tinge of pink. I figured that one awesome sunset was going on behind and stopped in my 5 minute recovery period to check it out ...



It was a beautiful sight on such a chilly afternoon, and my vantage point on the ridge made it even better.

I really enjoy evening rides. The smell in the air always reminds me of summer evening rides with the last of the day's sun keeping you warm and the air temperature being somewhat hotter than it is currently! My mind frequently wanders and I often find myself reminiscing about my travels over the last year. Before I know it, two hours have past and I'm knackered!