Monday 25 January 2010

BUCS Cyclo Cross 2010

The last few weeks I have been getting back into training, managing about 13 hours of quality sessions per week. I'm not doing anywhere close to the hours I did last January, and, although I feel tired, I have made some changes to my training plan, which I hope will start having some positive effects by April!!


Below is a race report of the British Universities and Colleges Sport - BUCS. Cyclo Cross - Wolverhampton 24th Jan 2010

A few months ago I was somewhat tempted to do this race. Why not, I thought, I can buy a ‘cross bike, get in some races and might do ok. When it came to completing the entry forms I filled mine out and sent it, feeling pleased that I would be doing another form of cycle racing that wasn’t solely MTBO.


Funnily enough, I never got a proper bike, and never did any races. A week before the race I was starting to have doubts that I even wanted to put myself through this pain at all! My only experience was a full year ago, when I spent 60 mins groveling around a field axel deep in mud, and was spent by the half way point in the race. So, it is perhaps understandable that I was feeling nervous. 


Sheffield Hallam had entered a team of 4 men and 2 women. My team mate who won the Yorkshire and Northern CX races this season failed to show at the race, which was a huge disappointment to everyone. We drove down to Wolverhampton in the morning of the race and upon arriving, I noticed my front disc brakes were a little worn ... to tell the truth, they were a lot worn! A quick panic and change of pads and my bike was sort-of ready, albeit with 2.1 Racing Ralph tyres. After looking at the track, I realised I probably wasn’t at such a huge disadvantage having my MTB as the course twisted and turned constantly and the steep slopes to the railway line were muddying up throughout the day. My brakes proved superior on these steep sections, only aided by having suspension!


There I was. On the start line of my second ever CX race. With ten other University women. All of whom had the proper kit. Nothing like a last minute confidence boost!


I quickly established within the first half lap, that I was probably going to finish 5th. I had left 4 of the girls behind in the mud and slope sections, whilst the other 4 (looking rather pro) had sped of leaving me in no-mans-land! A bit of head-to-head corner racing with the veteran men proved to go in my favour (perhaps my boisterous road riding skills came in useful, with a little undertaking and use of elbows). I found the first 3 laps ok, pushing a good pace, and with the course not too muddy, I was able to hold a good speed. The final 15 minutes were a painful 15 minutes, where the course suddenly got progressively muddier, bringing back all kinds of Mountain Mayhem 2008 memories. 


Some looking over my shoulder ensued, and one of the girls was gaining, slowly but surely. A bit more power through the pedals. A bit more effort in the mud. A bit more air into my lungs. A bit more of that burning sensation in my legs. And a bit more pain, and I was in the finish, in 5th place!


Amusingly, despite my hesitations pre-race, I didn’t want to drop out of this one, I didn’t have any of those negative thoughts that mid-race can sometimes prove fatal. I enjoyed it, and I can see that next season, cyclo cross will be a great way to improve my cycling skills. I am sure, without a doubt, I will be attending the 2010 season, with the proper kit in hand and a racing licence!