Thursday 23 August 2012

WOC Long Qualifier


Another hot day. 

As always the Long Qualifier for the women is just a matter of finishing. Although this year, with 73 women over 2 heats, some would miss out on a place in the final. But for the majority of athletes, finishing was the only goal.

I cruised around, losing 3 mins or so through a mistake and a poor route choice. Still, I finished 7th which is reasonable and only about 3 mins down on the heat leader. It puts me in a decent start position for the final.

Once back home, everything came down to focussing on the sprint. Having been focussed in the qualifier for the long, I knew it would be a tough job to do it all over again. The last couple of years I have struggled to focus for races which has resulted in poor results as I’m more easily distracted.