Sunday 9 September 2012

MTBO Falun

When I started 2012 I hadn't planned to do many MTBO events. WOC was on the cards, but really just go there and race rather than try to do anything special.

My MTBO races this year are as follows:
Cannock MTBO (UK)
Swedish Champs Sprint/Middle/Long
WOC Sprint/Middle/Long/Relay
and now the MTBO in Falun yesterday.

The Falun event was for me a training race. There were no medals to be won. No national anthem to be heard. A field of 5 women on the elite course. And a chance to ride my new 'local' forest. Get to grips more with the roots and rocks.

Ironically I spent a portion of the race wishing I had: a) a back tyre with grip that wasn't bald, and b) a full suss bike. Bumpy bumpy bumpy!

From the start I didn't quite feel 'in the zone' mentally. I was hesitant to the first control, and lacking aggression there after when biking through the rough stuff. I got my direction wrong on the way to the second and ended up slightly in the OOB area. I had crossed a road but couldn't see it on the map, and looking up I could see the buildings that I thought I wanted. It was only when I saw the pond, I realised the road wasn't on the map. It turned out that the road was on the map it didn't have a border to it which meant it was impossible to see the difference between paved and open. My biggest mistake was on the way to control 8, where I missed the left turn and ended up on the edge of the out of bounds area. I relocated and found my way the 30m back to where I wanted to be. I followed the track, crossed a stream and then ended up at a junction I shouldn't be at. Relocated again, decided not to bike down the river/track/mud-fest and went around instead.

The race was wrong route choice after wrong route. I was seeing the fastest ones and knowing they were fastest, but then always taking the slower routes. Mentally it's a game to not get distracted by my bad decisions. By the 13th control, things started to pick up. I was biking more efficiently and building a bit of speed. I was climbing more aggressively and taking the faster route choices.


In reality it was only the middle section that was lacking from 8 to 13. It's something to work on over the winter. Often in my 'less motivated' races I learn more about my orienteering than in those I do well.

The course also involved two downhill sections which were timed as 'King of DH'. I was 3rd on the first in 3.33, the winner took 3.20, while I won the second in 1.32 with 2nd place in 1.34.